Consumer alert tips: The IRS is calling or at your door

DO not get scammed. Scammers may impersonate in person, through phone call, or e-mail,  and pretend themselves as IRS agent or representative.

Remember that the IRS:

• Will first mail a bill if you owe any taxes using United States Postal Service.

• Will not call to demand immediate payment using a specific payment method such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer.

• Directs to make payment to the United States Treasury and gives guidelines on how you can make payment at

• Will give you the opportunity to question and appeal the amount owed.

• Will not  threaten that you will be arrested, bring in  immigration officers, or other law-enforcement for not paying.

• Cannot revoke your driver’s license, business licenses, or immigration status.

• At all times will provide two forms of official credentials 1) pocket commission, and 2) HSPD-12 card, if an IRS representative visits you. HSPD-12 is a government-wide standard for secure and reliable forms of identification for Federal employees and contractors. It is your right to see these credentials.

• May call or visits to a home or business unannounced to collect a tax debt after sending several IRS notices.

• Will assign certain cases to private debt collectors after a written notice sent to the taxpayer and representative. The private collection agencies will not ask for payment on a prepaid debit card or gift card. These are the four selected Private Collection Agencies: CBE, P.O. Box 2217Waterloo, IA 50704 1-800-910-5837 / ConServe,  P.O. Box 307 Fairport, NY 14450-0307 1-844-853-4875 / Performant,  P.O. Box 9045 Pleasanton CA 94566-9045 1-844-807-9367 / Pioneer,  PO Box 500 Horseheads, NY 14845 1-800-448-3531. To report misconduct of private collection agency, you may: 1) call TIGTA hotline at 800-366-4484 or visit  ; or 2) write to: Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration, Hotline, Post Office Box 589, Ben Franklin Station, Washington, DC 20044-0589

• Will not assign accounts to private collection agencies if the taxpayer is: 1) deceased, 2) under the age of 18, 3) in designated combat zones, 4) victims of tax-related identity theft, 5) currently under examination, litigation, criminal investigation or levy, 6) subject to pending or active offers in compromise, 7) subject to an installment agreement, 8) subject to a right of appeal, 9) classified as innocent spouse cases, and 10) in presidentially declared disaster areas and requesting relief from collection.

• Will notify first by mail of an audit. Only then the auditor may call discuss items related to the audit.

• Criminal investigators might visit your home or business unannounced while conducting an investigation. But they will not demand any payment as federal law enforcement agents.

Who to Contact to Report a Scam

• Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration to report a phone scam. Use their “IRS Impersonation Scam Reporting” web page. You can also call 800-366-4484.

• Federal Trade Commission to report a phone scam. Use the “FTC Complaint Assistant” on

• IRS at to report an unsolicited email claiming to be from the IRS, or an IRS-related component like the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System.

* * *

Disclaimer: Any accounting, business or tax advice contained in this communication is neither intended as a thorough, in-depth analysis of specific issues, nor a substitute for a formal opinion, nor is it sufficient to avoid tax-related penalties.

* * *

Al-os & Associates  Accountancy Corporation provides accounting and tax services to individuals, corporations, LLCs and business entities. The Firm has a niche in defending taxpayers audited by the IRS and other governmental agencies.


Facebook Comments
No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.