The deadline to register to vote in California is Monday, October 19, 2020.
To be eligible to vote, a person must be a citizen of the United States, be at least 18 years old by Election Day (November 3, 2020) and not in prison or on parole for a felony. Registered voters who have moved or changed their names since the last election, or would like to change their political party affiliation must re-register to vote.
How to register and check registration status:
- Register Online at https://registertovote.ca.gov/
- Check registration status at https://voterstatus.sos.ca.gov/
Conditional voter registration:
Eligible Los Angeles County residents who miss the registration deadline can still vote at any Vote Center in LA County. Under California Election Law, Conditional Voter Registration (CVR) allows a prospective voter to conditionally register and cast a ballot. For more information please visit: https://lavote.net/home/voting- elections/voter-registration/conditional-voter-registration
How and where to vote:
For the November 3rd General Election, all registered voters in California, registered by the October 19th deadline will automatically be sent a Vote-By-Mail Ballot. This allows all voters the chance to vote safely at home without needing to be in a public space. There are three ways to return the Vote-By-Mail Ballot:
- Voters can mail their ballot. Please note the United States Postal Service (USPS) recommends returning ballots as early as October 27 to avoid any possible delays. However, if a ballot is postmarked by Election Day on Nov. 3 and received within 17 days, it will be accepted.
- Voters can use an Official Vote-By-Mail Drop Box location. Find locations at https://locator.lavote.net/locations/vbm
- Voters can return their ballot at any Vote Center in Los Angeles County. Find nearest Vote Center at https://locator.lavote.net/
LA City’s General Election will be held November 3, 2020. While the City conducted the candidate filing portion of the Elections, the County will administer the Elections. For inquiries related to the County’s administration of the Elections, please call (800) 815-2666 or visit: https://lavote.net/.